Seats and windows in Disco Commercial

Mean Green

Just pondering the idea of putting seats into a Commercial.

What is involved in it?

Are there any other seats that can fit in the rear? i.e Range Rover seats?

I've done the opposite, I've taken the rear seats out of my Disco 4 door but I retained the two folding seats that are fitted to the seven seaters, I only occasionally need more than 2 seats so this has proven ideal, I don't think you'd want to travel to far in them though.

Andy

Can't really comment on the seats, but I can on fitting rear windows (just done it on my commercial). I fitted the 2nd-row windows, but not the rearmost ones - just enough so I can reverse safely!!

The biggest part is cutting out the blank panel - if you peel the inner rubber covering off the panel, you'll see the join. To do the actual cutting, I'd recommend the 1mm thick cutting wheels (plasma wheels) in an angle-grinder (Machine Mart do them for not much) - if you use the thicker cutting disks, you'll be creating heat which will bubble the paint on the outside.

You can either cut round the join on the inside, or for comfort, drill a couple of pilot holes round the corners and join them up with a marker pen and straight edge on the outside and cut along that - as it's alloy, there'll be LOTS of dust and metal particles, so I'd recommend doing it from the outside - I did one inside, then decided to change my approach!

The other problem I had was fitting the hinges...... there are 2 top-hat brackets riveted onto the b-post, and on mine at least, they had what LOOKED like a captive nut welded to the back of them, but the nut had no thread (?!), so in the end, I drilled the pop-rivets out, fixed the top-hats to the hinges with a plain nut & bolt and re-riveted the complete assembly to the post, before finally fitting the glass to the hinges (hope that makes sense).

Don't forget to fit the window rubber BEFORE fitting the glass, though ;-)

Hope that helps

Dunk

Just pondering the idea of putting seats into a Commercial.

What is involved in it?

Are there any other seats that can fit in the rear? i.e Range Rover seats?