How serious is this rot?

dirtyharry

Just been to look at a 300Tdi and saw this hole on the lip between the bumper and the boot floor/carpet. The rust has eaten right through it (I assume it's a box section?) and you can see right through to the chassis. It's odd, as the actual boot floor pan is in pretty solid nick, just this hole/patch.

Can anyone tell me how tricky this would be to have welded?

post-13399-0-46781800-1336577016_thumb.jpg

You should get on your back with a small hammer and have a look under the back. You best hope that the bottom is not as bad. Either way your going to need to replace the whole cross piece (box section) as welding that patch is no longer possible due to rust!!

You should get on your back with a small hammer and have a look under the back. You best hope that the bottom is not as bad. Either way your going to need to replace the whole cross piece (box section) as welding that patch is no longer possible due to rust!!

Thanks for that. The underneath is just as bad, and it's spread too so I think, as you say, it'll need a whole cross piece.

I had a similar little hole on my bus that I patched up when I replaced the boot floor, I also patched up a body mount support when I first got it.

Now my rear lists a tad and the back door had to be lifted over the bumper to open - YRM X member is primed ready to fit next month.

Its a disco assume that when you go poking around it'll only get a lot worse and then things wont seem so bad