300 Auto box cooling...

tjolliffe

Hi all,

I'm looking at improving the oil cooler on my 300 disco's Auto box. I've been doing a fair bit of towing recently with it taking the challenge truck to events.

On long steepish hills the auto box oil temp warning light has a tendancy to come on. To help the cooling I'm thinking of changing the standard oil cooler (the one that is a pipe with bits of wire poking off it) for a proper fin type that I can attach a small fan to.

Has anyone done this before or have any better ideas?! I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks in advance,

Tom

I replaced the woefull standard finned pipe with an eight row 400mm long oil cooler obtained from an automotive accessory shop. To Install it I ended up cutting the fittimngs off the ends of the existing alloy pipes and flaring them to accept a 5/8" ID high pressure oil hose which I attached with high pressure clamps. Tne other ends of the hoses went onto the barbs that were supplied with the oil cooler. It works very well, was easy to fit in the available space in front of the A/C condenser and the transmission oil stayed cool even in 56 degree centrigrade days in the Simpson desert.

Thanks for the replies guys! Turns out I was lying, its not got a pipe with wires on it as a cooler. Its got a long narrow finned oil cooler. Guess I must have just assumed it had the old school type!

Anyhow, i'm still going to change it for a larger one I can fit a fan to. Question is does anyone know the the thread type on the oil cooler I have?

Thanks!

Tom

No but you obviously have the same type as I had. As I said I never bothered to use the threaded end fittings, I called in a mobile hydraulic hose man who cut off the treaded fittings and swaged the ends of the alloy pipes to take a 5/8" ID hydraulic hose which fitted the barbed fittings that came with the oil cooler. Should I ever need to change them all I now have to do is buy a length of hydraulic hose ^_^