Fitting an "occassional seat" in a Disco Commercial

M&S

As I am now keeping teh Disco, I've been working through some of teh "problems" that I used to try and make selling it easier. Fuel economy is sorted (for a while anyway) since they've dropped 10p of a litre near me! And I'm going for AT's and emptied the junk out I was carrying. The other issue was not having enough seats some of the time (very rare occassions).

I've been doing a bit of research and think I can put a folding seat in the back of my Disco, similar to the side facing seats found in a defender. In fact JUST like a folding side facing seat found in a Defender :ph34r:

Anyway, according to the MOT regs:

3. Side facing seats

Side facing seats are not required to be fitted with seat belts.

4. Occasional seats

Occasional seats that fold down when not in use are not required to be fitted with seat belts. Care must be taken in assessing whether seats are, by manufacture, intended for everyday use with the ability to be folded for extra luggage space or intended for occasional use. Seats for everyday use should not be considered as “occasional” seats.

6. Seats in goods vehicles

Seats fitted to the rear of the driver’s compartment in a goods vehicle are not required to be fitted with seat belts unless the seat is the specified front passenger seat

This isn't going to be a seat for regular use. Mostly if we are heading from the campsite to a crag 10 minutes away, or dropping a mate at the train station for example. Or for me to sit and cook in teh back when it's raining :blink:

I know the insurance company will need to know, I guess it will be a 2 seater + occassional seat (that'll probably cause problems :glare: ). What about my V5. Would it still be 2 seats do you think?

Anyone done similar? I still need to figure out mounting of the seat so any ideas/pics would be helpful if you have :i-m_so_happy:

Mines a TD5 but I could use a TDi seat in it, thanks for the pic. Very helpful and exactly the sort of thing I was thinking :i-m_so_happy:

I will get myself to a scrapyard and have a look for a Disco seat and fittings. Sure I can make something that'll line up.

Cheers, Martin

They're common enough - plenty on ebay for little money, some people seem to think they're woth alot - they come with a seat belt as well - for peace of mind, search for 'dickie' seat...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover-Discovery-Dicky-seats-Beige-200-300Tdi-V8-6-7th-inward-facing-boot-/140753134078?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20c58a61fe

I've a spare one here if you want it for the cost of sending it via royal mail or something if you don't find one closer.

Steve

Thanks Steve, much appreciated :)

I'll try and get one locally over the weekend as I reckon postage from Ireland might be quite high, but if I have no luck or they want silly money I'll be in-touch :i-m_so_happy:

Here's a pair of td5 ones - the holes & fixing points might already be on the body for these - and reasonably close by too. Don't know what sort of cash these might go to, reserve has to be £50 min anyways?

Steve

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover-Discovery-TD5-Leather-Dickie-Seats-/280885008834?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item41660d19c2

Thanks for the link but they are more than I want/need to spend. Also they are forward facing and I want a side facing seat for a few reasons.

The D1 seat would be perfect, I can make it fit. I don't have any mounting points available to me at the moment so I'll be starting from scratch anyway.

There's one locally so I think I'm sorted.

Cheers though, Martin