disco transfer box into defender

hi iv fitted a disco lt230 transfer box to my 200tdi disco engined defender with lt77 box but im now round to wiring everything up but notice that the disco transfer box has a switch with 2 pins but my old one only had one pin, do i need to plug this up or can i swap the switches between the old and new transfer box?

Are you referring to the difflock switch? If so I believe one should go to earth - my boxes have both had a wire coming from one of the spades and then go under a bolt on the transfer box. The other goes to the difflock lamp.

Have you got this type of switch coming out the transfer box (old type tdi):

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php?xProd=89607

Or one of these ( I believe td5 defender/disco):

http://land-rover.eliott.in/_data/s_69/shop/big_spinac-kontrolky-mezinapravy-igm500011.jpg

Or something else?

AFAIK that switch tells the car when it's in low range, so in your truck I'd just ignore it.

Ah! As PieEater has said, it's probably the diff lock switch ( in the area of the front output housing?). In which case swap the switches over. Take care when refitting not to wind it in too far.

How to tell? Engage diff lock lever and using a test lamp connected to the terminals, wind the switch in until the lamp comes on. It should then extinguish when the diff lock is disengaged.

If you wind it too far it will jam the diff lock linkage inside!

Edited by mickeyw

And if you wind it further you will shear the brass fitting (doh - damn my torque obsession). It's not something you put in landrover tight. Had to use an easy out to get the sheared part out of my LT77 (same switch) cos I got torque happy.

You may well have a nut on it to set the length which may or may-not need adjusting for the new box.

firstly, id guess the switch you have with just one terminal earths through the body of the switch so you could probably use that one anyway. If you do decide to use the other, it doesnt matter which terminal does what as it is simply a switch so one terminal would have a short fly lead to an earthing point, the other would be the wire from the dash warning light (from memory although i might be wrong, it's black with a blue trace)

hope that helps

Fraid it's not a great pic but you can see the flying earth to the transfer box in this diagram, the other pin is to the black blue wire.

post-16322-0-86922000-1337807966_thumb.jpg

Theoretically it shouldn't matter which way round it is as it should only ground out when difflock is engaged and it's a simple switch. That being said just try it both ways as mcc1979ian says, it might ground to the transfer box already (although that would puzzle me some what) cos that would give a short for my reverse switch....