P38 2.5 MPG

stuck

Gent's,

I'm looking for a new car for the Mrs as her Suzuki is on it's last legs.

If it was for me I'd be looking at a 4.6 but she wouldn't like the fuel bill.

Her daily driving to work & back is less than 10 miles so realistically what can she expect in terms of MPG from a 2.5?

Cheers,

Mick.

20, as the engine is not going to get warm enough for long enough in only 10 miles.

In these conditions, a petrol engine is better than diesel as more combustion heat is wasted pushed into the cooling system, so warming the petrol engine more quickly than a diesel engine.

You will also get increased oil fouling (contamination) with such short runs, as the oil won't get hot enough to burn off the combustion byproducts.

Hi Stuck,

We had a P38 Auto - it did 19 mpg when we brought it. Had it Superchipped (£500) and then it did 23 mpg. The chipping was worth it's weight in gold as it removed a huge flat spot right in the middle of the rev range. If you do have a diesel, then make sure it's chipped or budget to get it chipped. Putting this in context the replacement Shogi is a 3.5 petrol and that does 19 mpg!

Darren

My P38 does mainly long journeys, however for a period of six months I used it for short journeys with the odd 40 mile trip.

I was shocked how quickly the oil emulsified. Plan on more often oil changes and a good oil flush to keep her in good fettle.