whats the chances of me accidentally improving my pump timing?

As Said in my other post this morning, I changed my timing belt yesterday. Has a few problems getting the injection pump locating dowel in place with the old belt on. Basically, I could get the dowel in the pump if I was slightly off TDC on the crank. Anyway. Didn't think much about it really (had a hangover at the time) so I just cut the old belt off then straightened everything up myself with the pins & dowells you get in the difflock kit (only used two of the tools!). When I turned it over it started as per usual first click. Drove for a test drive and its noticably smoother. Am I right in thinking that (for once) I may have accidentally improved the running of my landrover?

I though if the injection timing was anywhere near out of line it just wouldn't run?

Jas

Can still run when its a tooth out. On the Tdis as part of the tensioning procedure you release the centre of the sprocket ( 3 bolts) so that the gear can rotate relative to the locked pump - or something like that, haven 't got the manual to hand, this very slightly "moves" the timing. On mine it was definetly smoother after the belt was changed. Like yours when I set it up with the pins and the old belt before removal, the IP pin wouldn't go in. It was only slightly out, less than 1 tooth.

Sussed it!

When I stripped it certain parts were covered in yellow paint dots. Then when I put it back together (looking at the photos for my web page) I saw that the dot didn't line up, then I notice that the tensioner had dots on it !

Anyway, I look back through the history file I got with the car and the fuel pump was changed in august 2001 but the belt was done in february 2001. Basically I think they just dotted paint on everything, changed the pump, then put everything back so the dots were "sort of" lined up!. Didn't torgue it (whey else dot the tensioner?) and didn't put a pin in to set the fuel pump timing.

Can't believe the difference its made! Drove it again yesterday and even my wife has noticed it doesn't smoke as much, certainly much smoother to drive. I just thought it was a typical smokey landy given the mileage. (164,000)

:D:D

Jas

On the Tdis as part of the tensioning procedure you release the centre of the sprocket ( 3 bolts) so that the gear can rotate relative to the locked pump - or something like that,

Almost - this is part of refitting the pump and pulley.

With the pump pin in place, the belt is refitted with the pump pulley bolts loostly fitted. Once the cam and crank are timed, the pulley bolts are torqued up ensuring the proper pump timing.

Redoing the timing in future shouldn't necessitate the pump being touched again as the teeth should now always line up.

BTW, my newly reconned pump has about 20 dots of yellow paint around it.