200Tdi - Oil in the Air Filter

Hi,

I have a 1991 200 Tdi Hardtop and am currently on a bit of a road trip. A few days ago I noticed oil dripping from the fromm of the engine bay - not loads, but enough to warrent further investigation. It turns out that the oil was coming from my air filter and on closer inspection the air filter was soaked in oil. I have checked the breather pipes and could find no blockage and am starting to get concerned as whether or not I am going to make it back to Wiltshire from Ireland...

Does anyone have any idea of the potential problem(s) taht might be causing this - should I be reallly worried?

Thanks,

Zerodelta

Hmmm, Head gasket/piston ring broke/leaking gas into sump which pressurises then blows oil up the breather and forces it back up the pipe into the airintake.. there so much oil that it doesn't all get sucked into the engine and leaks back into the filter housing... maybe..

Here's a few other similar posts:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=20516

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&id=30139&catid=5&Itemid=81

Drive it carfully and see how you get on... do some basic checks, check your water for oil, breathing out the oil filler - any funny coloured oil in rocker cover area (water mixed in with it etc).... condensation in the exhaust (steam), overly blue exhaust fumes... (oil burning)...

Hope that is of some help.

Mav

Mav

Assume you have checked the cyclone filter on the side of the engine? Mine got blocked and threw a load of oil into the airbox. Only noticed when I went to change the intercooler pipes and took the box off. Sufficed to say a thorough wash out with gunk and a dry sorted it all out.

(Best case scenario I would guess)

If you haven't already, replace the air filter as soon as possible. If the filter becomes loaded with enough oil the engine will start to suck this into the engine in the form of a mist, which can in extreme cases be enough for the engine to run on.

Symptoms can be the engine seeming to run better than usual and taking longer than usual to stop when the ignition is switched off. There have been cases where the engine continues to run and accelerate with the ignition switched off, stopping only when stalled by putting the vehicle in gear and dumping the clutch (brakes on) or stopping in a terminal way when the motor exceeds its design speed and internal parts get scared of the dark.....