Drag link, leaf spring over axle....???

Burnsinbarnsley

Hi, I Am wondering what everyone else who has a series with the spring-over-axle conversion done, does with the drag link assembly??

I bought my first lr and it has this done with rrc axles. The ball joint on the pitman arm is under too greater angle to work properly!

Help and experience thankfully received!!

Paul

I used to run a Z-shaped draglink. Without PAS I wasn't worried at all about bending it.

IMG_1262.jpg

But with the current rebuild I've added PAS and I didn't want to run that Z-link anymore as I didn't like the idea of bending it and I didn't like the bumpsteer. I wanted it to handle right!

So I added high-steer to my 80Series landcruiser axles. So both the draglink and trackrod are in front of the axle, above the leafsprings.

IMG_8697.jpg

That's what I've done...

No aaftermarket options for high-steer on a rover axle though...

Lol!!

I understand the stress factors of steel and the need for gussets in!!

Still can't work out how to do photos!!!

After a trip to my local Landy scrappers I've realised my drag link has already been defaced!! It's been bent to miss the leaf! No surprise really!!

Picked up 2 other bars and hey presto!! My mate has made me one!!

Now for the test!!

Back soon, thanks guys!!

Gussets are nice and all but by the time they're big enough it becomes a straight bar basically and thus you lose all the 'benefits' of the z shape.

If you're going to make a z-link, ditch that wimpy rover drag link and get something beefy! I used the 80series draglink which is an inch in diameter with a 1/4" wall thickness. Way beefier than that rover stuff.

The steering rods I have now are a full 1.5" diameter and 1/4" wall.. Serious stuff...

Have a google for bumpsteer, lots of info to be found..

No offence taken Gremlin, I too didn't like the Z-link. I only did it as a temporary thing before I had enough money for the high-steer kit and PAS. I ran it for about 2years without issues.