Odd indicator wiring

Hi, just gone to change my old indicator light units on the rear of my 94 300tdi but for some reason one side is the earlier type... i already have the light unit of the new style but was just wondering if some one new what the plug is i need to wire in and how hard is it?

IMG_1957.jpgIMG_19582.jpg

the new plug comes with terminals and a couple of wire sealers that stop water migrating allong the wire into the plug, it's pretty straight forward really, jus get a pair of crimping pliers and you'll be laughing!

just snip the wires off close to the old unit as poss, and crimp on the new terminals, and stick them in the connector! Job done!

The connectors are Tyco (AMP) Econoseal connectors, available from numerous suppliers, Polevolt is the cheapest that I've found -

http://www.polevolt....Connectors.html

When you cut the old lamp unit off, clean-up the individual wires and BEFORE stripping the ends, slide the wire seals over the wires, in the orientation shown -

th_DSC02368.jpg . th_DSC02369.jpg . th_DSC02372.jpg

The conductor should be crimped with an 'F' crimp (sometimes called a 'W' crimp) -

F-CrimpCrossSection.jpg

The wire seal should be crimped with an 'O' crimp -

wp7_9018.jpg

(this picture is of a terminal from a different connector series, but it illustrates the 'O' crimp nicely)

The proper tool to crimp these is expensive, but an acceptable job can be done with a cheapo crimper for un-insulated terminals, like this one from Polevolt -

http://www.polevolt..../info_TT70.html

TT70-400.jpg

Once the terminals and wire seals have been crimped and inserted into the connector housing, the secondary terminal lock (yellow plastic bit, in the pictures above) is clipped into place on the front of the connector.

just fitted those plugs to my 2 amber grille repeater lights, wish I 'd know about the terminal gripping the seal, I have passed the wire through it though.

Some people crimp the wire seal grip with an 'F' crimp to grip the insulation, the same as you would for an unsealed terminal, and slide the wire seal over the crimp.

This isn't how they were designed to be used, but the seal will still work OK.