2nd key and fob options...

Maverik

Hello People,

My newly aquired Disco 1 is not far from being road worthy again, so just scoping out all the non critical jobs.. one is to get a 2nd key/fob sorted... (single button fob)

I've only got one key and one fob for the truck, while I've got on perfectly with the focus only having one key, this makes me somewhat nervous with the truck... so I'd like to get a 2nd set for it.

Options I can see are thus...

1) change all the locks and get new keys... buy a new fob... (how easy is it to program a new fob to the car alarm?)

2) find a preprogramed alarm ecu thingy with fobs?

I kinda like the alarm and imob so I don't want to get rif of it if possible.

Can I convert to the double button key fob? is it plug and play connectors, or are they totaly different systems? any light shed will be appreciated.

Cheers

Mav

I'm pretty sure single button fobs can be sync'd to your alarm ECU without having to replace any of the electronics or doing anything particularly clever. Have a search on the forum, the procedure is on here somewhere.

In fact have a look here: http://www.remotekey.co.uk/cars/land-rover/discovery-I-1993/ you can buy a replacement fob for £58 and sync it yourself

I'm not sure what to do about getting a matching spare key without replacing the entire lock system or getting ripped off by Land Rover to get a replacement.

Ok, so the single button is reprogrammable: evidently this is how you do it: Cool thats the fob sorted then which is the tricky bit, will have to look around for key lock sets by the sound of it.

"If u have a single button remote and the battery is ok then try the following:

1. Starting conditions: ignition off, doors unlocked,

bonnet switch depressed.

2. Carry out instructions 3. to 9. within 8 seconds.

3. Switch ignition ON.

4. Switch ignition OFF.

5. Lock doors.

6. Unlock doors.

7. Release bonnet switch.

8. Switch ignition ON.

9. Switch ignition OFF.

If alarm is correctly accessed, horn will sound and

LED will light. It is now possible to programme two

handsets of correct frequency to vehicle alarm ECU.

This must be carried out within two minutes.

10. Press and hold down button on first handset until

dash LED flashes.

11. Repeat instruction 10. for second handset.

12. The LED will extinguish if both handsets have

been initialised correctly."

Yes I seem to remember seeing those instructions before. If you buy one of those key fobs you will get the instructions with it anyway.

If you buy a replacement ignition barrel for about £30 (as I have done) you will get two keys with it. I'm not so bothered about having only one door key as the fob always gets used to unlock the car anyway (two button fob). If I use the key to open the door it will set the alarm off.

As you already have a key then pop along to the local shoe repairers, most will cut a key to match you existing keys profile. Why buy replacement locks?

Single button system is very different from the two button system so not plug & play.

As you already have a key then pop along to the local shoe repairers, most will cut a key to match you existing keys profile. Why buy replacement locks?

Single button system is very different from the two button system so not plug & play.

You mean I can just get a key cut?... I honestly didn;t know that!...

Yup.. just the same as if you required an addidional front door key at home. :D

Awesome, ordered a blank key this afternoon, so just need to find a nice man to cut it for me!

Thanks people, learnt something new today :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok still not sorted the 2nd fob, but got a blank key off fleebay and took it to a key cutter... turns out its a standard profile rover key and they have them in stock and they wont cut your own key if you take it along, luckily it only cost 2 pund.