Testing Sankey brakes ?

andy2986

Hi all

I have recently got myself a sankey trailer and am very happy with it.

However, I was having a look around it the other day. It has the round button you push down to lock the brakes off for reversing. I noticed that even when the button was in its normal driving position that the tow ring still cannot be pushed in to operate the trailer brakes. Well by hand pushing it against a wall if you see what I meen?

Is this right ? How can / should I check the brakes ?

Sorry for any bad grammar but am typing this on my phone

Andy

Ha! I have similar questions with mine. Is yours disc or drum braked?

You will never push the drawbar in by hand.

Hitch it up, chock the back wheels of the trailer and reverse. It helps if you have a spotter as the transmission brake on the landy may make it roll forward a touch and release the brake.

For a Disc Mark III you should see the rear of the drawbar come out and the bolt should be pushing the plate that operates the master cylinder. This should be through most of its travel.

I had to bleed my brakes through recently and was wondering if they were as effective as they could be. I know they work when towing (try braking with the reverse button down (unbraked) and then up (braked) to notice the difference) but I think they could be better.

It would be wise to clean it up and pump through some fresh grease on all the nipples you can see (there are a few).

Its a start.

HTH

G

Hiya, thanks for you're reply, mine is a drum braked wide track.

Will pump some new grease into every nipple i can find and then try the reverse with the wheel chocked thing..

The hand brake works fine, well at walking pace anyway!

Andy

Sorry,

I don't agree with the above, I can operate my brakes by hand albeit with a little bit of force, so you should be able to push the hitch otherwise it is not working correctly and needs lubricating.

Jason.

Sorry,

I don't agree with the above, I can operate my brakes by hand albeit with a little bit of force, so you should be able to push the hitch otherwise it is not working correctly and needs lubricating.

Jason.

Really?! I couldn't when I first got mine but then it had been sat for some time. Maybe it will do it now, will give it a go tonight.

G

I have a wide track Sankey and I can't push the hitch on mine. I've had the drawbar apart and checked it all out, no problems there, the pivot to apply the master cylinder is well greased and working, but I've no idea if the brakes actually work or not yet.

There is one other thing to note with the disc braked trailers drawbar (don't know about the earlier ones) the drawbar is only designed to go backwards and forwards, it does NOT pivot (ie turn in the housing) so it's very important that the Nato hitch on the tow vehicle is released to pivot if towing one of these trailers.