MOT Failure - Rear track rods on both sides

Bigant

Hi All

The wife's discovery 1 failed its MOT today as both the "rear track rod end ball joints" have failed?

Where are the rear track rods and how easy are they to replace? Does anyone know wether the track rods are both right hand thread or is one left handed?

Cheers

Bigant

Unless you have a rear steer set up in place you don't have a rear track rod.

I suspect the MOT tester is an idiot and means the track rod on the rear of the front axle, this is the bar linking both swival housings behind the axle, this is the only place I can think of that he could mean which has ball joints. If he means the rear trailing arms then they don't have ball joints so he is an even bigger idiot.

The fail could be damaged gaitors or worn joint, or both, put your hand on the joint and get someone to rock the steering, if you feel a clunk as things move they need replacing. I would have to check with a discovery but on a 90 theres is one left and one right hand threaded, If you are doing the job your self I find it easier to remove the entire bar from the vehicle, measure the lenght and record it so you can re set it to the correct lenght. Removing the ball joints can be a pain as they have often corroded in, if it looks to crappy the tube it self isn't to expensive so sometimes easiest to replace the lot depends on your budget. Normally worth getting the tracking check afterwards, that costs less than damaging a set of tyres.

As always excellent help and advice, I even questioned the testers report with the garage and they just supported what he had said even though I asked if he meant the most rearward of the TRE's.

I will check out the cost of the new tube as well as I have read that changing the TRE is a pig of a job!

Thnaks again guys

Bigant