Series 3/ diesel engine queries

rpmjones

could anybody offer some general advice? My first Land Rover a series 3 1979 SWB purchased recently drives well and seems to have the orginal 2 1/4 NAD engine with overdrive installed. I have checked all the levels etc which is about as far a my mechnical knowledge goes. speedo says 34k

Its been driving fine and went through an MOT without a hitch. On a trip yesterday at 45mph or so the engine made some very strange noises, lost power and began to misfire. Grey/ black blew from the exhaust. I pulled over a stopped the engine but 5 mins later it drove the 3 miles or so home slowly fine.

Question a really does anyone have a clue what this might be a 2nd what is the longevity like of these NAD engines. All the LR mags say avoid them!!

Richard Jones

could anybody offer some general advice? My first Land Rover a series 3 1979 SWB purchased recently drives well and seems to have the orginal 2 1/4 NAD engine with overdrive installed. I have checked all the levels etc which is about as far a my mechnical knowledge goes. speedo says 34k

Its been driving fine and went through an MOT without a hitch. On a trip yesterday at 45mph or so the engine made some very strange noises, lost power and began to misfire. Grey/ black blew from the exhaust. I pulled over a stopped the engine but 5 mins later it drove the 3 miles or so home slowly fine.

Question a really does anyone have a clue what this might be a 2nd what is the longevity like of these NAD engines. All the LR mags say avoid them!!

Richard Jones

I would agree with the mags and avoid them.The design made for a very reliable and durable petrol engine, but a real carp deisel. Your problem could be an injector gone sour,an exhaust valve or horror of horrors, a precombustion chamber has come loose and is being pulverised by the piston.

bill.

You say you drove it three miles home afterwards. What did the engine sound like, did it smoke or rattle?

You may have blown the head gasket, so no big deal really, and you could do the job yourself. If a hotspot had come out and the piston had subsequently smashed it - I would have thought that there would be no way the engine would run after that.

Les. :)

Sounds interesting!

Check water level, oil (is there water in it?)

If water and oil are ok, and it runs ok at lower revs, but not high, then maybe a faulty injector?

The 2.5N/A conversion is relatively easy with the exception of some welding needed to fabricate the drivers side chassis/engine mount, and an electrical addition for the fuel cut-off switch. I've done this conversion myself, and the difference, although not that dramatic, is very noticeable and certainly worthwhile doing.

Les. :)

The only reason the 2.25D has such a bad reputation is because the 2.25P is such a strong engine (because they share all critical components). If they are looked after and not abused they will run fine for many years, and the same CAV pump and injectors are still used on new diesels!!!

Your problem could have been something as simple as water in the fuel. When did you last drain the filter(s)?

It could also have been a stuck nozzle. If you have never had the nozzles tested, now would be a good time. They are prone to cracking, especially if overheated.