URGENT - Bust hub after blowout

Hi guys,

Need some advice. I had a blowout on the M27 at 70. This caused alot of heavy vibration etc on the offside front wheel. I've replaced the tyre and i noticed that i was getting a similar vibration/wobble through the steering wheel. I pulled over, checked my wheel nuts, all fine, had a look round the back of that hub and noticed a lot of grease, looks like the one shot stuff you put in the wheel bearings. I rocked the wheel at the top and there is a lot of play, feels like a really badly work/knackered wheel bearing. Is this the most likely thing to have happened? are there any other possibilities? I need the motor for work so could do with getting it sorted ASAP!

Are there any good garages around blandford forum that you would recommend for this repair?

Thanks guys.

Dave

You should check to see if the wobble is the actual hub on the stub axle - in which case its wheel bearings, or by the sounds of it its the swivel bearings thats gone, in which case its a little more involved but not much.so you need to identify which bits move and which dont... can you see the disc wobbling inside the caliper?

Mav

Right, doesnt move left to right but i havent got it off the ground yet. I looked at it from the back, and i can see the whole hub moving around on the chrome ball. I'm assuming this isnt a good thing?!

If its rocking on the chrome ball then its your swivel bearings. its not a difficult job, but a bit involved and mucky, as you have to remove the CV joint, and its full of either oil or one shot grease which is manky to remove. - depending on which bearing it is (top or bottom) it could have an effect on your CV joint, i.e. bits of bearings falling into it which is not good...

Sorry can;t help with a garage.

Mav