Rattling Front Brake Pads

Matt BADLRC

Some time ago I changed the front pads on my disco but the rattle springs were rotten so I had to build it back up without them. So hence the pads rattled a bit.

Less than a 1000miles ago I have changed the front discs as they were shot along with new front pads and a new set of pad pins and anti rattle springs. I had to build it up without copper slip as I couldnt find it. The pads are still rattling only notice it at low speed pulling up at lights etc. if you touch the brake pedal slightly it stops so I am pretty sure it is the pads. I dont think copper slip will stop it but I will give it a go as I have got some now.

Any ideas please as the rattling sounds really bad with the window down in the hot weather??

Hi Matt, I had the same thing.

spent ages greasing & swapping out anti rattle springs for the earlier pads & "W" shaped springs, they still rattled but only at very slow speed.

I solved it finally by replacing the cheaper mintex pads for ferrodo pads with the composite anti-rattle pad stuck to the back of the brake pads.

its been silent since

regards

Gren

I had this on my Range Rover Classic recently. I had fitted a set of Mintex pads and a new Bearmach fitting kit. I even tried the old fitting kit, but it still rattled. In the end I cured it by fititng a set of genuine pads and the genuine fitting kit (pins and anti rattle springs).

Thanks for the replies. I have manged to find some anti rattle coating that sticks to the back of the pads. I have seen it before but never on its own. The current pads dont have it on them so its got to be worth a go, and should hopefully fix it.

Thanks for the replies. I have manged to find some anti rattle coating that sticks to the back of the pads. I have seen it before but never on its own. The current pads dont have it on them so its got to be worth a go, and should hopefully fix it.

where did you get the anti rattle coating would be interested in some