tub capping adhesive?

Landy-Novice

hello all, im in the middle of replacing my tub cappings, one problem was removing them, on the first i chased a chisel up both sides with a 2ft length of dowel which turned out to be a STUPID idea because i got the dowel stuck and 2 chisel stuck... :blink: by the time i got it off, i had ruined the side of the tub. which then took me about 2 hours to straighten. :blush:

then got to the second one.... out came Mr. grinder, cut the length of the capping. run along with stanley and it popped off. 15 min job done (i missed out the bit where i had to dissect the grinder because it lost its drive :mellow: )

anyway, the adhesive stips, can i buy them?? if so links/part numbers? if not, what can i use instead of, tiger seal?

thanks in advance. :)

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=74574&hl=

Have a look at this thread, I think item number 2 should be the same stuff. In the past I have used silicon sealant just to prevent the metals contacting (i used tiger seal a while ago and it was a nightmare to remove the cappings again)

Failing that, double-sided closed cell foam can be bought cheap enough on ebay, just buy a roll and cut to length.

HTH, Harry

When I replaced the cappings on my 90 with some nice galvanised ones, the old ones were a complete b*stard to get off! Probably didn't help that they were that badly corroded they came off in bits :wacko: God knows what they used when they were fitted, it looked almost like some kind of resin!! I ended up having to staighten my tub slightly as well - great idea of yours with the grinder though.

I just used some similar stuff to Tigerseal - being galvanised I can't imagine having to replace them any time soon! Oh and get all the rivets in place before you start 'popping' them ^_^