axle compatibility

ive been offered a 1990 defender as a project but before i commit im wanting some idea of what i'll need to spend

the front axle swivels are shot, so im wanting to know wether disco/rr axle will fit in its place? i'd prefer vented disks too instead of the solids but i assume this is a simple disk and caliper change?

i'd also like a disk braked rear axle, so apart from the obvious def 300tdi item what other options do i have available? disco/rr items?

also what would be required to fit abs? are all later axles equipped for the abs pickups or are the abs axles different

cheers

Replacing swivels isn't difficult, probably better to change than a complete axle, not sure if Disco/RR front axles are rated for 110's max gross weight, 90/110's have a single brake line to each caliper-whereas Disco/RR have 2 lines to front brakes, disc/caliper swp is fairly easy.

Don't try to fit Disco/RR rear disc axles to a 110 as these are not rated to handle a 110's max gross weight, the brakes can be swapped to rear disc using standard LR parts,[do a search for rear disc brakes] or fit a 300Tdi rear SAlisbury axle if you can find one.

forget ABS as a 1990 vehicle doesn't contain the required wiring/control unit for this system o be retro-fitted, far too much work involved in trying to fit/make it work.

sorry to clarify its a 90 not 110

so does that mean the disco/rr axles will fit without any mods? i might be able to get set of disco axles cheap from a friend of a friend but need to ensure they'll fit

as long as i get single pipe front calipers the vented stuff just fits streight on?

as for the abs assuming it uses the standard bosch abs setup the wiring isnt an issue for me, just need abs unit, master cylinder and the correct axles with pickups...

Disco/RR axles are OK to fit on a 90 -- same units & diffs ratio's

Yes correct ref front vented calipers use single line versions.altough some have used 2 line & made jumper pipes to make it work as a single line system.

not sure on ABS make [iIRC it's WABCO], but still think it's far too much work to fit to a non abs vehicle.