97' discovery 1 noise after new cam belt

baz00

had a mate fit new cambelt at the weekend

i watched and tried to learn!! he did everything that your supposed to do. i.e turning engine twice by hand and tensioning again.

on starting the engine was running ''lumpy'', no power and chucking out a lot of white/blueish smoke, he said pump timing was too advanced.

he adjusted pump timing by taking the inspection plate off and loosening 3 screws then turning engine slightly by hand, after a good hour off this the smoking stopped and the engine wasnt running lumpy, but the engine had developed a knock or tap,he adjusted a little more and said he was happy that the engine sounded fine,and he was certain that cam timing was spot on. i know my engine and it does still have the tap/knocking noise and seems a little down on power.

have been reading on the net and this does seem to sound like pump timing still off.

have uploaded a vid to youtube so people can hear the noise

If you are getting a knocking noise the chances are that the timing is too advanced. The best thing to do is to beg, borrow or steal a proper diesel timing set. I use one by Snap-on though I believe Sykes-Pickavant make one. There is a piezo sensor clamped to no 1 injector pipe which senses the pulse of the diesel firing. You can then use a normal strobe light on the crank pulley. There is a timing mark on the case! We have found the best timing to be 10 deg BTDC. The normal setup with the pins is slightly retarded at about 5 deg BTDC.

it was pump timing, thought it was to advanced so retarded a little, which left her running lumpy and smoking, advanced few mm and was still smoking but not lumpy,advanced another mm and knock was back, retarded a tiny bit and bingo, no smoke,no knock= one happy disco owner, thanks for all your help and advice edit.gif