EGR Removal and Silicon Hoses

Been having a weird power loss problem on SWMBOs TD5 90 over the last few weeks. It's been intermittently losing power although it always seemed OK when I drove it.

On Saturday I finally figured out what the problem was when the power dropped off when I was driving it - no power, lots of black smoke under acceleration.

Anyway, it seems that the problem is that the silicon hose from the intercooler to the inlet manifold is sliding the jubilee clip off that's supposed to hold it. As a result it's been losing boost and on Saturday with me driving it blew the pipe off completely leaving me driving a normally aspirated 5 cylinder diesel.

Whenever I try and put the jubilee clip on the ridge in the EGR removal pipe that is supposed to stop the pipe coming off means that, as the clip is tightened it simply slides off the end of the pipe. I've put the rubber pipe back on again for the moment. That works OK as I guess the "rubber" being softer then the silicon pipe allows the jubilee clip to grip it.

Has anyone else had this problem ? Did you come up with a solution ?

Looking at the end of the EGR unit it has a much sharper ridge right at the end of the pipe that would probably work OK so it looks to be the combination of silicon hoses and EGR removal kit that's causing the problem. I noticed the TerraFirma EGR removal kit doesn't have the ridge so might actually work better in this case.

Hmmmm. I think I may be suffering from this. I'm working away from home right now so I cant check at the mo. I'm not sure which EGR blanking kit was used on mine but I think I am losing some boost pressure. I inspected the silicon hoses which themselves are fine so started to conclude that maybe its a sealing issue with the jubillee clips - I'll update when I get home. It presumably would explain additional black smoke at times if extra fuelling is occuring but the boost isn't there???

Could be, as you say, the loss of pressure at the manifold will result in over fuelling and black smoke. Because that particular join is hidden underneath the sound deadening cover it's not immediately obvious there's a problem.

as an interim solution - try cleaning up the surfaces of the pipe either side of the ridge and painting it with a rubberised paint. That should give the silicone pipe a bit of 'stick-tion' when its clamped in place by the jubilee clip.

It's not the silicon pipe that's slipping off the inlet pipe, it's the jubilee clip that's slipping off the silicon pipe.

Had a chat with Patrick at Maddison 4x4 about it yesterday and he says he has only used original pipes with the EGR removal kit. He has seen a couple of customer's vehicles come in with self tappers holding the jubilee clip in place though and had wondered why they'd done that !

I's a bit "Heath Robinson" but I guess if you have a wide jubilee clip and put a self drilling/tapping screw through the clip, hose and EGR it would certainly stop the clip slipping off as you tightened it :)

Allright lads.

Had the same problems a few months ago, and found out that the circlip to the wastegate had come off, hence the loss of power and black smoke.

Bit of a fiddly job to get the exhaust manifold off, but the circlip only cost 2 quid or so and a new manifold gasket. Mornings work.

Good Luck

Most interesting - was it complete loss of turbo power or variable depending on speed, gear amount of accelerator et etc?