Stupid question, about ignition switch.

Scooby Jim

Stupid question but I have looked on Google and on here and can`t get the answer I'm looking for.

I have this key and switch setup ready to go into my Series 3 V8.

Bought as a petrol ignition switch.

2012-09-02-1001406x800.jpg2012-09-02-1002707x800.jpg

My question is why doe the key turn left??

The key goes in rotates one click to the right (clockwise), then another which springs back (usual ignition switch).

But mine also rotates to the left (anti-clockwise). Why is this?? Is it a glow plug heater switch, meaning I have a diesel ignition switch, or is it just a way of turning the ignition on without risk of starting, or is it something else that I don`t know about???

I have removed the standard ignition barrel, and steering lock, as mine doesn`t have the hole for the locking mechanism, and I didn't have the keys when I bought it, and the barrel was hanging down unattached.

So I apologise for my apparent stupidity, but I'd rather I check before fitting something that is wrong.

It's not a stupid question, one of my old teachers used to say that the only stupid question was the one not asked!

I have a Diesel series 3. On mine when you rotate clockwise against the spring you energise the glow plugs, when you turn it even further against the spring you energise the starter. See if yours does this, you'll need to experiment with your AVO.

The turn to the left is not a feature on my (standard) switch, but if it's like most other cars I've seen with this facility then it's normally for accessories. (radio/fag lighter etc) So you should find a connection made by turning to the left, this connection should also be made by turning the switch to 'on.' (you can just forget about it I should think)

This is all a bit of guesswork, I could well not be entirely correct!

Julian.

I have an odd switch on the Lightweight too - it has four positions, with the key being inserted and removed on the second from left detent, the auxilliary and ignition circuits live on the third and the starter on the spring loaded fourth detent. The first detent, which means turning the key anti-clockwise, doesn't seem to be connected to anything. I wonder if a SIII diesel switch was fitted by accident to this petrol vehicle? I know 90/110 and RRC/Discovery Tdi diesels use the same switch as the SIII petrol, which is how my 109 is set up.

Cheers guys, after a damn good look and removing what is left of the dashboard. I guess that the steering lock ignition switch was supposed to be on there (there is a cut out in the column for the lock), so I guess the new switch I have is wrong.

The lock had been removed and was dangling down and I couldn't see the position where it would fit, I can either get a replacement so I can have a steering lock, or fit the new switch and hide it somewhere.

So hmmmm decisions decisions.

The SIII steering column wasn't always fitted with a lock. Those that didn't have one just had a blanking plate over the column's hole and a simple steel bracket to hold the plain ignition switch in the same place inside the column trim. This is even the case on my Lightweight.

The SIII steering column wasn't always fitted with a lock. Those that didn't have one just had a blanking plate over the column's hole and a simple steel bracket to hold the plain ignition switch in the same place inside the column trim. This is even the case on my Lightweight.

Well there is definitely a hole on the column and I have bolted up the ignition barrel to the column over the hole and the lock worked, obviously had to remove the lock again as I have no key, so I'll see about getting one.

What initially threw me is that 99.9% of cars have their ignition barrel when fitted to the column on the right hand side of the steering wheel, this fits with the key on the left, but something I will get used to.

In regards to the ignition switch, the left turn option is just for singular accessories that you want to run by themselves and not with everything else at the time. My old s2a had one when I bought it but I went back to ign/headlight switch in the end

In regards to the ignition switch, the left turn option is just for singular accessories that you want to run by themselves and not with everything else at the time. My old s2a had one when I bought it but I went back to ign/headlight switch in the end

Cheers for that, atleast I know now. If I don`t bother with the steering lock type that will be handy info, cheers.