Help!! Overheating woes!

Josh NZ

Hey guys,

I have an issue with the cooling system on my 1970 S2a. We were on the way home from a spot of overlanding over the weekend, and we were traveling a constant 50mph. I wasn't thrashing her by any means, but the condition of the cooling system was relatively unknown. Upon reaching a small town after an hour of traveling, I noticed a hissing noise. Pulled over and popped the bonnet, and was greated with a large cloud of steam.

We left it to sit for a while to cool off, so I popped the radiator cap and the radiator was empty!

Filled it back up and fluid immediately began issuing from somewhere on the exhaust side of the motor, but it's pouring out from behind the exhaust, on the side of the block.

Have I blown my head gasket spectacularly? Or is it something far worse?

Really hoping someone can help me out here, I'm a bit anxious that I've incurred some seriously expensive repair work in the future!

Any help seriously appreciated!

Far simpler I hope. Arn't there core plugs down the side of the engine there?

Normally there are core plugs on both sides and all around an engine. They have to get the casting sand out somewhere, so they give us some cheap bungs that rust out :)

If it wasn't really stinky hot, then head gaskey may be okay. 2 1/4 is pretty tough, being a diesel strength petrol engine.

I don't really know haha! What do they look like? The temp gauge was right up the red and there was a lot of steam! The water pours out as soon as I put it in, and it seems to issue directly above the exhaust pipe that runs under the floor.

There are three core plugs along that side of the block, just below the manifold overhang. They are recessed discs, about 1.5" in diameter as memory serves. There is also one at the rear of the block of similar size. They're made of pressed passivated steel sheet and are only 1/16" or so thick, so can come loose or rust through.

If it is a core plug (it'll be fairly self evident), then you can remove the old one by a hammer and chisel (deforming it completely to pull out with pliers) or by drilling it and screwing in a large self tapper to yank it out. Try not to let it drop into the engine cooling jacket as you won't get it out without stripping down the engine!

Fitting a new plug is simple - clean up the edge of the hole with a file or emery cloth, smear the edges with sealant and then tap it in with a socket that just sits inside the lip as a drift. The only complication is access - you'll probably have to remove the manifolds to get at it.

Got under the landy today, and had a good poke around this morning. Found a 3mm diameter hole in a recessed disc just below the exhaust overhang, so I have popped a core plug! (snagger, your a life/wallet saver!!)

New plugs ordered (free) and new exhaust gasket coming too. Very happy with the outcome though!!

Would I be wise to remove the front wings for better access to the manifold? I'm replacing both of them anyway so now could be a good time..