Series FFR distributor condenser

Snagger

My FFR Lightweight seems to have minor running troubles - the engine "popples" on the over-run. I have checked everything I can and all seems well apart from the condenser - I get sparking when opening the points manually with the ignition live, which suggests the condenser is shot. It has only done a very small mileage since replacing the original condenser, though it was new old-stock (genuine Lucas).

I had temporarily fitted a standard 12V ignition (with voltage dropper), and the new distributor also had its condenser fail within a couple of thousand miles.

Are condensers really this unreliable, or is there something going on that is causing them to fail? In the FFR system case, the entire system was correctly fitted and functional with 10V at the LT lead, and with the 12V system, the LT lead showed 13.4 V.

Does anyone know where to get the correct condenser at a sensible price, please? Blanchards charge a fortune for FFR ignition parts...

• 3 weeks later...

"Popping" on over-run is usually more a sign of an air-leak, either on the engine-side of the intake system (carb to manifold, or manifold to engine) or somewhere on the exhaust side.

A good way to check if it's the ignition is to get a medium-wave transistor radio and tune it to somewhere there's no station. Stick it on the shelf under the windscreen and go for a drive. If you have ignition problems you'll hear crackles!

Thanks for the replies.

I have checked all the manifold and carb fixings for tightness and they're fine. All the gaskets an the exhaust manifold were replaced a short while ago, and the emcon system has been rebuilt so shouldn't be bypassing the carb (I'll double check it,though).