How to remove a p38 engine and body shell

mikec

Hi I'm trying to get the engine out of my p38, first off I thought I'd take them all out together, engine and gearbox, so undid engine mounts, but looking at the gearbox underneath does the cross member have to be removed or can the box just be unbolted from the cross member?

Second plan of action was to split the engine and box, undid the lower bellhousing bolts, but can't figure how to do the upper ones, there seems to be about 2mm of access there :)??

Thirdly, I thought I'll lift the body off, undid 8 mounts but the body won't shift have I missed anything?

Othe rproblems I've found is undoing the downpipes, struggling to undo the downpipes bolts, and the manifolds have a heat shield on them that has al the bolts rusted, so can't undo the manifolds from the heads.

Should add its been scrapped this car so doesn't matter what happens to it whilst stripping it, just want the quickest and easiest way of getting the engine out.

Cheers mike

There are a few body mount bolts hidden under plastic plugs. There's also a ***ton of wiring and brake lines and ... attached to both the body and the chassis. Nearly got my hand stuck in there trying to get those loose :glare:

I'd take the engine out first. Is it a manual or auto? Easiest way to get at those bolts is to remove the engine mounts and lower the engine and box on bottle jacks. Also, many extension pieces and make sure your arm twists in at least one extra direction than it's supposed to.

Seriously though I'd support the engine and gearboxes on a crane then undo the props, revove the crossmember and undo all mounts cables wiring etc inc all cables, pipes then drop the lot to the floor, on a skid or skate.

Then lift the front of the body up and drag it free? not sure if there is clearance to drop engine through bay there should be.

Ok cheers, it's an auto, do you remember where the hidden mounts are?

I'll be honest I'm a bit wary of getting underneath it too much, it's not got wheels on and no front axle, it's currently on blocks stands etc, but still worried it could shift.

So best plan of action is, remove props, support crossmember, undo crossmember,undo engine mounts, drop it down? I'm not sure there's enough clearance to drop the engine down due to the engien mounts fouling each other, maybe best to take them off the block?

Cheers for the advice guys.