Trailer Tents

zim

Afternoon,

I'm thinking about getting a trailer tent - for the simple fact that they're light and can be towed around by anything really. It'd be used for challenges, where i'd get someone to pull it with my Golf TD (i'm assuming this'd be ok ?)

I would be looking at a cheap one, so nothing new or fancy !

But what do peopl think of them ? I've never sleapt in one so don't know what they're like...

I might see if i can borrow one for the next event just to see.

Any tips ?

Cheers

Gordon

Really like them, a double self-inflating mattress under the existing mattresses is a must though IMHO.

When looking, try and find one that you can put and is weather proof up without putting up a separate awning, assuming you are travelling alone/only 2 of you, they add significantly to the erection time (cue humorous quips :P). Also, a good kitchen with grill and two burners, sink and drainer is handy, but depends if you are relying on a burger van or not I suppose :)

They are generally very warm, as they have bedrooms within the main tent, and you can shut yourself in the trailer part, a gas tilly lamp then heats it up very well for later night drinking sessions, even at 3C, which is the coldest I have used it.

Your Golf TD will be fine with one, I tow mine with a 1.6 petrol Hyundai, 5 people plus luggage and a roof box! You will find that they are just about all unbraked, so under 750Kg, pretty much anything can tow that weight without issues.

You can pick up fully kitted up tents for <£500, so as you say, no need to burn the bank to get one.

Had a few recommended but not as warm as a caravan, big improvement over a tent. Biggest problem I ever had was egtting the canvas drid before packing away.

Conway criuser etc is the way to go - up in a few minutes, lots of them about for parts , awnins etc readily available if you need extra party space - but time consuming to put up.

Steve

Cheers for the replies :) Sound pretty positive.

So long as the golf will be able to keep up 60mph and follow my ford with the buggy behind then i'll be happy !

they add significantly to the erection time (cue humorous quips :P).

Our current tent is pretty big so takes a while to put up !

G