Side antenna supports: do I have the wrong one ???

FFR

Hi,

Some time ago I bought a couple of antenna supports, and I was getting ready to drill the body... until I noticed that they are sitting a bit higher than the ones I seeing online. Do I have the wrong mounts ?

What is the "standard" distance between top and bottom bolts (I'm thinking about cutting my supports and drill new bottom holes).

Please take a look at the photos. Sorry for the vomiting quality of the shots...

Many thanks in advance,

Carlos

11gimva.jpg

rj1t1s.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I found that there are two types, a short and a long support. The right photo is very useful, because it shows a "long" support installed in a "low" position, so it has a new set of holes.

To summary... if the support is installed very high (because it is a long one) then the top bolts are hold by the aluminium skin. But if the support is installed in its lowest setting (because it is a short one, or, being a long one, it has a new set of holes on it) then the top bolts are hold by the aluminium skin AND the galvanized gutter, in a sturdier point.

This is an example of the concept: the lower position is better than the higher. I think that I'll do what someone did in your right photo, drill a couple of holes in my long support to mount it low.

rkqyw8.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

From what I have seen, the shorter brackets are normally mounted above the doors of the built in Jerry can holders on the military spec vehicles, and the longer brackets, elsewhere along the side of the body. Hope this is of help. cheers John.