Strange problem starting 300tdi

adamplatts

Hi

Can anyone help? We have a really frustrating problem with our 300tdi.

Every now and then we can not start the car. It just won't even attempt to turn over. Other times there is a delay while holding the ignition key n before anything happens. At first I thought it may be a problem with the aftermarket immobiliser but now I am not so sure. When the mobiliser is activated you don't even get any ignition lights on the dash board but when we are having problems starting we get all the ignition lights glow plugs etc and still nothing

So far I have checked the connections to the starter solenoid and all seems fine

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks

Ad.

Could be the little green box of tricks in the passenger footwell (which I think is the standard immobiliser). I had something similar once and nothing would get it to start until I got the kick panel off and gave the box a wiggle. Away it went and never had the problem again. Can't remember why I thought to try it but it worked anyway!

ZF4HP22 Auto? if you have one then its then the cause of you problem and it will be the immobiliser switch on the side of the box which locks out the ignition circuit if you are not in either Park or Neutral, - sorry but its bloody expensive as AUD$250.00 :angry2: Getting it off is a breeze, a 10mm bolt holds a U clamp which retains the switch, take care in disconnecting the multi-plug and you can try washing it out with WD40 but at the end of the day you are going to need to buy a new one. - either that or be prepared to get under the car and tap it with a small hammer every time it doesnt open the circuit.

• 2 weeks later...

Delay when turning the key before the engine turns over points at the spider. Often can be fixed by removing same and resoldering the joints. Or it can be removed altogether. There are instructions in the Archive on how to do this.