60% duty@120A enough?

Nigelw

Is 60% duty cycle @120 A enough for general use?

This machine is priced at 550euro, if I want a bit more duty the price goes up considerably!!! for just 80%duty @120A is 990euro!!! double the price nearly and for not such a significant gain!!!

Not looking to set up my own fabbing shop just weld up my rust bucket LOL

And plasma cutters, long term investment or just a gimmick?

As long as you aren't in a rush or time is money you should be fine. Sounds a lot for a mig? any links to the machine? there was a list of machines rated on here a while back.

My clarke 151te turbo was under £300 a while back and is fine for diy use, it is only rated 20% duty at 130A or 60% at 75A and 100% at 55A.

I rarely use it above 50% power. chassis welding is 2-3mm thick (when on new metal)

If you are looking for a nicer machine the portamigs range from 185A-235A, the 235A with a 100% duty cycle at 105A is under £700.

Plasma cutters are good for fabricating, or chopping lots of metal out, but for rusty chassis work a decent grinder with selection of wheels may be better and cheaper? Just stay away from cheapo chinese plasma units with no warranty/support/spares.

Sorry no link as it is at a local electrical wholesalers just down the road from me, I have seen them cheaper but usually they are advertised excluding the BTW and then you slap another 21% on it goes up a long way not to mention it's either diesel getting it or over 12K parcel delivery, again more costs.

I may have forgotten to mention this machine will come practically ready to plug in and play, it comes with the argoshield mid size industrial bottle(think they give that to Hasselt postcodes to encourage them to go back for gas and you know how it goes, oh some tips and a....), also thrown in is an auto dimming welding helmet.

I did also like this one too http://www.lasexpert.nl/MIG180 300euroexcBTW so +19% as it's in Holland and then add a regulator, gas and auto dimming helmet, spool of wire and before you know it almost same price and I would have to go to Holland to get it or pay to have it shipped,(works van so diesel's free to me).

I don't want a plasma cutter but some folk rave about them for some reason?

If you're just welding up rusty bodywork that figure won't matter as you very rarely get a run in and you certainly won't be running at full current.

Plasma cutters are brilliant, especially for awkward shapes like bodywork - easier to get into small spaces, cut without lots of noise/debris, just draw the shape you want. Yes you can do without one for most things so they're considered a bit of a luxury item, but once you've used one it seems less like an indulgence and more like very good sense.