Alarm removal and retro fit...

Maverik

Hmm been thinking about security as the nighmares have started again...

I've got a working D1 (twin button fob) alarm in the blue disco and was thinking how feasable it was to remove it "complete" and retrofit it to my 86 LR90...over buying something like a TOAD system...

How deep is the alarm system on a D1, does anyone know if its possible to seperate it from the rest of the vehicle?

I was thinking I'd like soemthing that made a noise.. hence the alarm type route, as opposed to battery/fuel cutoff's...

In addition I might add, I think I'll be investing in a least one of Si's new security bit n bobs.

Mav

Mav,

I would say removing the alarm is far more trouble than it's worth, As has often been talked about on here security is about layers, the more you add the more difficult it becomes for the 80% of unprofessional criminals, who are more likely to move on to the next truck.

and to be honest and with no disrespect towards your 90 but the professional gangs (container to Africa etc) are not going to be after your truck.

A good immobiliser is a worthwhile investment, but should not be thought as the solution, it is questionable how good an alarm sounder works and how quickly it can be silenced, or silenced before activation, and on a Land Rover how quickly they can fill with mud and go faulty.

As you say Si has some great products on offer, I think the trick to his products is that they are simple and quick to use. Anything that takes you a while to deploy will end up being deployed to the workshop and not used.

Simple GSM trackers are coming down in price now, and the free applications that allow you to track them or set Geo fencing for your unit is increasing daily, to a point where you can seed your truck with a couple of devices.

Jason.

I fitted one of these. Cheap but it scared off two attempts at stealing my 110. I now also have the X-Defend pedal lock too as I don't think that the alarm would stop them a third time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Falcon-Predator-MK1-Car-Alarm-System-with-Battery-Backup-Siren-/390437258563?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item5ae7dfc543

I fitted one of these. Cheap but it scared off two attempts at stealing my 110. I now also have the X-Defend pedal lock too as I don't think that the alarm would stop them a third time.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5ae7dfc543

Similar idea but with a posh key-fob remote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360394021851?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Got to be about multiple devices now as Jason says

• Pedal-lock or other f-obvious 'physical device'
  • GPS (x2?)
  • Immobilser
  • Not-so-obvious battery cut-off
  • etc...

Wouldn't waste my time trying to get an old Disco alarm to work on anything other than an old Disco though

Hmmm, I've definetely decided on getting a pedal lock and an ignition lock type thing. Point taken with regard to D1 alarm removal. I still would like something to make a nois if possible, so will be looking into something simple but awkward to remove!...

I can't see my truck been stolen for "export" its no shining jewel (to your avergae jo...) but more for its towing capacity or its value in parts...