What Waterpump To Use

need4speed

Having a look to see what waterpump i need for the V8. Problem is there seem to be quite a few different options available.

I know i need the non-serpentine version but i also intend to use an electrical twin fan system instead of the viscous fan so what would be the pump and pulley that i need?

It depends on what your cooling requirements are? It sounds like you are running electric fans already as you say you do not need the viscous fan fitting on the pump, STC4378P this is a pump that I fitted for a mate, fitted really well and has been running for over 5 years now despite it being less than a third the price of most others I saw advertised.

If you are looking to cut the shaft down then do it gradually with a hacksaw, an angle grinder will put too much heat into the shaft and will ruin the seals.

Sorry it seems to have taken so long for someone to answer but been busy rebuilding the timing chest on a friends 200Tdi this weekend.

Thanks for replying guys...

Dieseldog - The pump you put up a link for looks like the type for a serpentine engine so no use for me. Thats a good tip regarding cutting the nose of the pump though. Id probably have used the grinder then wondered a new pump was knackered!

Paul you are correct. I had a look at those pumps but like you suspect are not compatible with my timing cover.

Think i'll need to get something like STC1611 and cut it down. Unless of course some of the V8 boys would care to chime in with a better idea.

I chopped the nose off a 3.5 water pump years ago and it was fine. My mate did the same with his which seemed identical and must have gone just a bit too far, so the hub came off. If I recall correctly, it was probably shrunk on and he had to tack it.

What can I say? I'd trim off as little as you need to.