series 3 bulkhead repair advice

smokeyone

Have purchased replacement A post brackets - the old ones just fell to very rusty pieces.

My mate is going to do some nice mig welding but wants me to line everything up.

Am I correct in thinking the replacement parts slide inside the old A post and you line up the holes....

also why is there an indent in one of the rectangular holes - plus any ideas on how to replace the metal sort of u channel strip that holds the rubber door seal - pop rivetted on I think.

Thanks very much for any guidance

I replaced a pillar on the Series 2 earlier in the year. The new post had a lip on it for the seal. I don't believe the old shape is avaliable anymore, only the new shape for the defender knock-on type seals. The indents I thought were to allow for the J-clip and still let the door hing sit flush with the pillar.

Thanks for the suggestions - I was really thinking about the strip of steel that has rusted away - the strip that you rivet the rubber seal on to - if that makes sense - as the strip is no longer available do you make up a new one or is there an easier idea ...

Well like I say, mine was part of the doorpillar that I replaced, and I think, looking at the photos, a YRM footwell has the same lip, and the two are plug welded together. I must admit, where it had rotted away at the curve, I didn't replace it. A suitable strip of steel could be welded in.