Starter motor staying engaged

SPendrey

Hello All,

Just looking for some advice on an issue that's started over the last week or two. Sometimes (not always) when starting the car the starter motor (I think?) stay engaged once the engine is started and buzzes/hums/vibrates for a few seconds, then disengages and the engine continues to run. Any pointers to where I should start looking for a cause? Perhaps the ingnition barrel electrics are sticking in Pos III? Is there a relay or something that disconnects the starter once the engine in running??

FYI, this is a '95 300TDI auto.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Be very very careful, we had a defender that used to do that, then one day the starter would not stop and caused a major electrical fire ............

The cause turned out to be a combination of busted solenoid and loose wiring

Hi Scott, i'm in process of sorting a mess left by starter motor failure so be very carefull.I have 96 edc auto and the starter just failed on me one morning and caused a load of problems, mainly smashing a sensor in the bellhousing. Yours may not be anything like mine but i would suggest taking the starter motor out and checking it over, not too difficult to do just one nut at back is difficult to get at.