NOT the three amigos

NeilF

Increasingly I'm getting the three bongs and the following lights: Handbrake, TC and ABS. They go off after switching off the engine and restarting, until the next random time. I have a Hawkeye diagnostic, but it shows no DTC faults logged. Any clues from among the cognoscenti?

does the HDC warning(the amber one) show up after ignition(on self test?) ...it's quite odd that there are no codes stored and that could lead to an ECU missbehaviour ...though if the fault is intermittent it might not store it always, especially if it's a hub issue.

you will not be able to connect the hawkeye while they are lit cos you have to plug it with ignition off then the tool will ask to turn ignition on and when you do that if the fault is intermittent the lights will not come on again untill you drive it... insist to read the codes untill you'll get an answer...It looks very like a hub issue to me, but you'll need to figure out which one.... it will log a fault in the end

I managed to read the fault: No. 3129, "Road Speed Missing fault logged".

What does it mean?

A search through past posts both here and elsewhere haven't given me any clues - this fault seems to be just one of a number in other's experience.

this code is due to comunication failure between the engine ECU and the SLABS ECU, or again a SLABS ECU internal fault cos according to the diagnostic protocol this code is generated as "engine data" fault and it must have triggered the HDC and TC(ETC) light not the ABS, the engine ECU sends a vehicle speed signal to the SLABS which in your case it's named "road speed" and it's missing

....The engaged forward gear and (on manual gearbox models) the clutch status are computed from the engine data

input' date=' the engine speed input[u'] and vehicle speed.[/u]...

this signal is known by the engine ECU as VSS(vehicle speed signal) and if it fails it must trigger the HDC lamp so first of all check for water ingress/corrosion at the SLABS ECU's plugs cos it's quite common, give them a contact spray then if this fault still persist IMO the ECU is fubar'd... quite a complicated diagnose here cos you must measure the signal on the pins if there or not to see where it gets lost

Vehicle Speed Signal (VSS)

The VSS is an integral part of the ECM's overall adaptive strategy. The ECM receives the signal direct from the

SLABS ECU. The SLABS ECU is not connected to the controller area network (CAN) so therefore is hard wired....

....In the case of a VSS failure on vehicles with automatic transmissions the ECM applies default values derived from

the EAT ECU. There is no default value for manual transmission vehicle.

The VSS can fail in the following ways:

l Wiring short circuit to vehicle supply.

l Wiring short circuit to vehicle earth.

l Wiring open circuit.

In the event of a VSS failure any of the following symptoms may be observed:

l Vehicle speed limiting disabled (manual transmission only).

l Hill Descent Control (HDC) warning lamp on and audible warning.

so here is an erratic behaviour along the system cos on the fault code you've got there must be other warnings

see the list below with all the warning lamp protocols as conceived by the builder(your problem is with the "Engine data" ...if you have Hawkeye check on live data this VSS if you can and see how it behaves

erase that fault and see if it comes on again cos it used to log erraticaly too without any efect

post-24079-0-60190800-1354905225_thumb.jpg

Thanks! I think........... :wacko:

Looked up Rave, but couldn't see a reference to SLABS ECU; is it an acronym for something? Where is it? You never know, I might just have dirty connections, if I'm lucky......

Nothing else happens when I'm driving, just the three bongs and the (wrong) three lights.......