Demister and the MOT

geoffbeaumont

Is a working windscreen demister a requirement for the MOT? And if so, does it have to be a blower type or is a heated windscreen okay?

As far as I can see it's not checked. Smoke poring out the vents might be an issue though :D Best unplug a wire or two...

What about steering slack? How much are you allowed? I suspect the truck in question has a bit too much...put it this way, I wouldn't want to drive it :blink:

A thought though, if it's been sitting for a while (it's a classic rangie), might it just need the power steering pump run and maybe a bit of bleeding? If not, going to have to try adjusting the pump.

No - demister is not checked on the mot.

Stering slack - for a vhicle with a steering box not more than 75mm movement of the rim of the steering wheel without the roadwheels moving.

Bleeding the PAS will make little difference to play in the steering. However you should check for play with the engine running as the PAS does take up a little slack. Probably just wants the box adjusting up a tad.

Check its not a duff ball joint or play in the lower column u/js etc.

Jon

Is a working windscreen demister a requirement for the MOT?

No.

What about steering slack? How much are you allowed? I suspect the truck in question has a bit too much...put it this way, I wouldn't want to drive it :blink:

A thought though, if it's been sitting for a while (it's a classic rangie), might it just need the power steering pump run and maybe a bit of bleeding? If not, going to have to try adjusting the pump.

Pump? The steering box is the place to adjust out wear. Check all the ball joints for wear first. How much slack is a matter of some debate. Some testers use more "license" than others - the car has big wheels so a little play can be multiplied up by the time it is felt at the tyre tread.

Chris

Pump? The steering box is the place to adjust out wear. Check all the ball joints for wear first. How much slack is a matter of some debate. Some testers use more "license" than others - the car has big wheels so a little play can be multiplied up by the time it is felt at the tyre tread.

Sorry, meant the box :rolleyes:

Just wondered if the steering box would have slack in it if it hadn't had hydraulic fluid pumped through it in a while (the trucks been parked up for over a year, though it has been started and moved a few yards a couple of times). The slack is definitely in the steering box not ball joints or column. Couldn't start it when I was over there as I forgot to take a spare battery with me. The one in the truck is flat.