top tip for changing power steering pump

Gromit

I did the power steering pump at the weekend as the old one had given up the ghost.

I considered doing a Les on the job, but was half way through the job before I thought of it, couldn't find the camera, and anyway I didn't want to get shouted down for telling y'all how to suck eggs, it being such an easy job and all :P

Normally one would undo the pully bolts before removing the belt, but as the pump has siezed the week before, I'd already removed the belt.

"Sure, it'll be grand" I thought as I removed the pump. <_<

Todays top tip is make sure you have cracked the bolts before removing the belt so that you don't have to resort to this to clamp the pulley :rolleyes:

dscf0043yx3.jpgdscf0044yq3.jpg

worked a treat though.

looks like all the pumps internals had made their way into the fluid resevoir :(

dscf0047uf9.jpg

dscf0046gw4.jpg

Ouch, i had a similar thing a few months back, the pump spat its internals out at 70 on the A14.

I undid the bolts by putting a spare belt on the pulley, then clamping the belt to the workbench with a bit of 15x50 square tube through it, then letting the pulley 'wrap itself up' in the belt, then using a socket and bar and tapping the end, using the impulse of the tap, and the inertia of the pump, it worked rather well :)

Luke