Defender brakes, what will fit?

if both vehicle are post 1991 there is no difference in the calipers, LR fitted the same to 90 & 110, AFAIK the mountings are common to all 90/110.

110 brakes are off my old '84 V8 and the 90 is a 1990 td

I want better brakes as I tow heavy trailers and the trailer brakes are only as good as the Landy brakes I find.

110 calipers should be better than the 90 ones I have, pads are different but not much more area to them, I suspect that they use more area on the outer part of the disc to achieve better praking, may be wrong on that just going off the shape of nthe pads.

I have Disco 1 calipers and pads available to me as well but not sure which are best, early 110, early 90 or later disco 1 all on solid

discs

Thanks

both have 4 piston front calipers, so swapping them won't make a huge difference in braking power, disc AFAIK are the same diameter, pads get used on both models.

These are the only non vented discs for 90 & 110 FRC7329

caliper part numbers are different but only for new or exchange units with or without pads. doesn't state 90 or 110, so common to both models, IIRC later ones changed from imperial to metric threads.

both have 4 piston front calipers, so swapping them won't make a huge difference in braking power, disc AFAIK are the same diameter, pads get used on both models.

These are the only non vented discs for 90 & 110 FRC7329

caliper part numbers are different but only for new or exchange units with or without pads. doesn't state 90 or 110, so common to both models, IIRC later ones changed from imperial to metric threads.

My 1984 110 pads are longer and slightly narrower than the 90 and Disco ones so I presume its to get more pad area on the outer edge of the disc, the calipers are larger as well.

The axle is from a 1993 110 CSW so I presume the calipers are from that vehicle having larger pistons than the '84 110 . I know that cause I got the wrong ones in the repair kit when I did them last.

I'll have to do some measuring when the snow melts :)

My 1984 110 pads are longer and slightly narrower than the 90 and Disco ones so I presume its to get more pad area on the outer edge of the disc, the calipers are larger as well.

The axle is from a 1993 110 CSW so I presume the calipers are from that vehicle having larger pistons than the '84 110 . I know that cause I got the wrong ones in the repair kit when I did them last.

I'll have to do some measuring when the snow melts :)

I would keep the calipers with the bigger piston area, they will put more brake force on the disc/pads.

I would keep the calipers with the bigger piston area, they will put more brake force on the disc/pads.

Good idea thanks

I'll measure the pistons before I decide.

It'll have to be mot'd with the drum brakes on the back but they should be ok for now, disco axle going on when I have time. Just wish the discovery hubs looked the same at the back, spoils the look I think