Pop goes the Air Spring

Simon_CSK

This is what happened to the rear air spring on my Discovery on the M6 last night. As I was in the outside lane the car seemed to be a little wobbly so I slowed and pulled into the inside lane just as the spring went bang.

This is the end result. That and a two our delay while the AA got me home.

What I need to know now is how it is fixed in as the explosion had torn it out of the mounts.

IMG_03531_zps4daff372.jpg

I did a quick Google search and came up with this, http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Rear%20Air%20Springs.html

Sorry its not a link on lr4x4.com

That sounds like a potentially nasty moment. I used to have a 2001 TD5 Disco ES, but I choose the 5 seat version so it was without the air springs at the back. Nice car, in a way I wish that I hadn't sold it. But it did cost me dearly when the cylinder head cracked.

That sounds like a potentially nasty moment.

Dunc

thanks for the info.

It was very uneventful. I was in the outside lane at 70mph I noticed the car wobbling like the suspension was on jelly and even then it was very slight. I slowed down moved over to the inside lane and then all of a sudden there was a loud bang like a tyre or a balloon had blown. No effect to the handling of the car I just pulled on the hard shoulder and called the AA.

Absolutely no drama at all.

CwazyWabbit

I left Glasgow on Friday night to go to London where I spent the weekend. No snow in Glasgow when I left or when I got home. Weather got progressively worse on the way down until about Stafford then got better until London. Did not use the car much in London, Dropped my friend off at Heathrow at 11am on Monday and set off back to Glasgow. Got as far as Carlisle where there was little snow and it went bang.

I don't know whether the temperature has much effect but where I was was cold but not below zero. but had been through worse earlier in the day and the weekend.

I know the airbag has a small hole as I had found it when I changed a wheel so maybe the temperature played on that in some way.

I got the parts this morning and the car is now fixed as good as new.