Defender wiring harness PRC6779

Im looking for some more info relating to this wiring harness. I have been told on good authority that its for an early V8 Defender. But, now that i have started to install it into my vehicle, the wires dont seem to add up and many of the wires in the loom arent on the diagram i have been using. The schematic one i am currently using is on page 210 of the landrover 90-110-Defender workshop manual owners edition titled early V8 powered models.

As this is a complete ground up build from a new galv chassis, there isnt a loom to refer to and the old donor 200TD, the wiring is in such a state i cant make head or tail of that either.

Is this the correct diagram for that loom?

I need to get this sorted so i can finally make a start on the Megasquirt wiring looms

Thanks in advance

John

it's for this VIN range of 90/110

Part number: PRC6779

Applicable Models:
Defender vin FA404683 to vin FA424037

so if your VIN is before FA404683 then it's the wrong harness for your vehicle.

is your a pre 1986 vehicle ??

if yes then the harness is PRC5319 according to my up to 1986 110 parts book

or PRC6311 for all derivatives up to FA404682

Cheers, sorry Westren, maybe should have explained things a bit clearer.

I have an old 200TD 90 (F Reg) which i wanted to change to a V8.

After looking at the chassis, i decided on a new galved one and rather than re fit the old axles, suspension, bulkhead etc i decided that i do a full ground up rebuild. Subsequently everything that has gone on the chassis is either new or as good as.

The Engine is now a new 4.6 v8 as opposed to the old 200TD unit.

12 months or so ago i bought a Megasquirt kit off Nige.

I remember asking the forum which route to go regarding the wiring loom and the census was to get an early V8 one rather than bodge a 200TD as most of the engine wiring will be covered by the Megasquirt unit.

At the moment i have managed to sort out the fusebox (as it was fully intact), ignition, heater motor, wiper motor, most of the dash lights and all the steering wheel swithes. There are still a few wires around the dash i am unsure about. I have been using the wiring diagram mentioned as it relates to the early v8 defender, according to the manual. However, i cannot find some of the wires in the loom on the diagram.

As you suggest this is not the correct loom for my vehicle, which year of vehicle would it relate to?

Do you have a diagram for the loom in question.

Once it is all sorted out i have the TD5 speedo and instrument light pack to go in. But i dont really want to start chopping wires before i even get the engine turned over.

Just as a thought, i am in a similar position to NeedforSpeed with this build. However,i have noticed he used a TD5 Deisel loom, rather than a V8 petrol one. I would have thought that that would have been more difficult to sort out than fitting a petrol one in the first instance.

for the loom you have the V8 petrol diagram in the LR workshop manual would be the best one to use, LR use the UK standard wire colours so it should be easy to match a wire colour code to it's intended use/circuit.

fitting a Td5 instrumenbt pack has been covered in a long thread in here -- wibbly wobbly speedo, there isn't much choping of wires just repllacing the existing connectors for a matching socket for the td5 instrument pack loom.

My spidey senses were tingling......

To be honest the reason i went for the td5 harnesses was the fact that i wanted the better sumitomo connectors and td5 instruments. Also, and i cant stress this point highly enough, they were at the right price :)

Its not a big job converting the loom to your requirements if your good with auto electrics...which im not so its a big deal to me. However with help of some knowledgeable folks on here (a special big thanks to PaulMc) im getting there..

for the loom you have the V8 petrol diagram in the LR workshop manual would be the best one to use, LR use the UK standard wire colours so it should be easy to match a wire colour code to it's intended use/circuit.
Cheers for that i will bat on and persevere.
fitting a Td5 instrumenbt pack has been covered in a long thread in here -- wibbly wobbly speedo, there isn't much choping of wires just repllacing the existing connectors for a matching socket for the td5 instrument pack loom.
Yes, read the full thread, together with the other regarding the speedo run up circuit. Took me a day and a half to read. Some good info there cheers
My spidey senses were tingling......

Just try and keep up with all the threads and info as you doing a very similar build to mine , albiet yours is a 110.

Did you sort out your heating cooling pipework? Thats next on the list for me. If so do you mind me messaging you or you taking some photos for me?

To be honest the reason i went for the td5 harnesses was the fact that i wanted the better sumitomo connectors and td5 instruments. Also, and i cant stress this point highly enough, they were at the right price :)

Its not a big job converting the loom to your requirements if your good with auto electrics...which im not so its a big deal to me. However with help of some knowledgeable folks on here (a special big thanks to PaulMc) im getting there..

Having looked at the rave diagrams, these are a lot easier to follow than the old schematic ones.

I Know the feeling regarding auto electrics. I just cant seem to fathom out that when two wires come out of a loom, say a red one & green one, where they relate to on the wiring diagram.

Another frustratimg thing is that i could be looking for a wire thats coming out of the loom and after 2-3 hours i find its not needed.. Arrgggghhhh!

Thanks again