Where has this nut come from?

A nut with integrated washer dropped out of the bottom of the interior side trim panel of our 2009 D90 Station Wagon today, roughly in line with the front end of the side window in the hard top. It is a plain nut with attached washer, 10mm across the hex flats. It is finished in a matt zinc grey (not as dark as the photo looks). I am concerned that it may be from the driver's seat seal belt shoulder anchor, where it attaches to the gutter or B pillar. Can anyone tell me with reasonable confidence where the nut comes from before I start pulling the trim out?

post-4758-0-58565700-1360081435_thumb.jpg

Look at the trim panel. Are all the screws that hold the card/ plastic panel to the side still there.

There are on my, well were, 300Tdi three brackets that hold the panel to the bodywork. That looks like one of the nuts.

A 6mm nut seems small to me for any seat belt mounting.

I could be wrong of course.

The plastic trim studs all appear to be in place, but this may have come from a bolt securing a trim mounting bracket.

The bolts securing the seat belt anchor are surprisingly small, and I'm pretty sure from my 109 rebuild that they're M6. There are two through the top of the anchor bracket into the gutter and one through the bottom of the bracket into the B-pillar. However, I can't remember if the bracket (the diagonal brace type) has captive nuts. Otherwise, I would have hoped LR used nyloc nuts on something that important.

I THINK ! ! the bracket has captive, welded on, nuts...

I'm still not up to doing much, bad cold, if I feel up to it in the morning, I'll look in the "garage" and see if I can find the trim nuts. I took my side panels out some time ago for more space.

Could be off one of the roof to side panel bolts and that could include the seatbelt bracket too, on the other hand it could have been one that was dropped by someone at the factory and it's taken this time to work it's way out. You may be able to feel if any of the bolts are loose by feeling along the roof join behind the top of the trim panel.The only way to be sure is to pull the trim, it's not difficult and won't take long.

Yep, I'll have to do that to make sure it isn't from somewhere important. That'll be after we get a dent in the wing replaced - it looks like a school kid has hit the corner of the front wing on Monday with the end of a hockey stick sticking out of their sports bag and put a dent straddling the joint between the outer and front panels of the wing just above and outboard of the head light surround. Once the dent has been removed, we'll be fitting light guards to try to give it as much protection as we can.

I removed the side trim and after checking all the bolts, found one without a nut. It was the vertical bolt through the L-bracket which secures the midpoint of the hard top side panel to the tub capping. All the other bolts were tight on that side, but the corresponding bolt on the other side was also very loose, and several of the left side roof bolts needed a small nip to tighten them up. The two loose nuts were refitted with thread lock - they sit either side of a rubber bush and probably came loose as a result of that.

post-4758-0-36743600-1360154582_thumb.jpg