Woolly steering

Disaster today - headed of this morning down my dirt track road I came to a corner and felt like I had slid.

It was about 6 deg so no ice today. Drove on still on the track and steering was woolly to say the least so when I got to the main road I stopped and had a look underneath and found that the bolt that hold the panhard rod at the axle end.

Drove very slowly back home. :o

The bolt has only been in for about two months and was tight - it was fitted with a nylock nut so find it strange.

The wife found the bolt but no nut, will be fitted this time with another nylock nut and locking washer and some thread lock.

A couple of night back I was offroading on some rough ground but still don't know or why this would come loose.

Yes, New nut and bolt.

Refitted the bolt with another new nylock nut today. before I fitted it I drilled a small hole through the end of the bolt.

Fitted the bolt & nut and nipped up but did not tighten down hard as I presume it need to move as the body rolls.

I then fitted a split pin through the hole in the end of the bolt so it should not come off again.

I've always done them up FT. If it's not tight then the arm will be able to move left and right slightly, not good for steering!

The stretching/movement of the rubber in the bush is sufficient for the suspension movement, the inner metal sleeve should not move or rotate at all.