Alternative axles: Patrol and HDJ80

o_teunico

xlinky60.jpg

This pic has been taken from pirate4x4(France)

Notice in both photos how the Xlink (cross link) has swung downwards on the right hand side, thus reducing ground clearance and presenting a snag point to the terrain? Swap sides and under axle tube ground clearance looks like it would be seriously compromised.

Just imagine a Disco MkI with front XLink on Y61 axle, rear XLink with HDJ80 rear axle with Discovery Series II trailing arms+Watts linkage. Change locking pins of both XLinks with dog clutches and you will have a refined road biased car that could be converted into a twisting machine by operating just two small levers. Add two sway bars from x-eng with more dog clutches in place of free wheeling hubs and it will be even better.

I'm imagining...........pointlessness!

So you are going to the trouble of fitting different axles using an inflexible suspension setup, adding Xlinks to get the flex back then adding anti roll bars to control the flex???

Why not fit the axles using a flexible link setup and just have an X-eng anti roll bar at one end.

A bit of real life experience would give you a better handle on what suits your driving style, then adapt and build according to your Fab skills and the depth of your pockets.

Stick some push rods, rockers and a cambelt on that disco your brother gave you and get it dirty and beaten up!

A bit of real life experience would give you a better handle on what suits your driving style, then adapt and build according to your Fab skills and the depth of your pockets

Vapour builds only for the moment...

I remember that my bros Disco had good articulation with stock coils/dampers, but rolled excesively on road. I drove two other Discos (both 300Tdi) from friends: stiffer coils on both, one with standard antiroll bars and the other without them. Both drove well with little body roll but lost some articulation.

My idea will be a "selectable" articulation setup. Standard radious arms frot + watts rear + twin anti roll bars for road, Standard radious arms frot + watts rear without bars for trails and un-pinned Xlinks front and rear for extreme articulation.

As you said, real life experience will show if just a simpler flexible setup with Si´s bar will fullfill all my needs.

kastorjaunarenargazkiak.jpg

kastorjaunarenargazkiak.jpg

As I said in some other posts, I want the car to be road legal, and that will be easier maintaining the car as near to stock as possible.

Just an example: a Jeep YJ from a friend: Patrol axles, custom suspension and 4.0 engine instead of the 2.5. Project completed in february 2012 and he is still waiting for the paperwork for having it road legal :angry2:

429258_358743434157401_857084023_n.jpg

• 4 years later...
On 3/27/2013 at 8:20 PM, il-bob said:

Yep, that's my beastie :)

No vibrations, maybe because of it's 105" wheelbase and the wide yoke prop shaft.

This weekend we competed in Noto, SIcily. Terrain there is mainly rock and soil. We had no problems at all with the axles and we're running 36" Fedimas with plenty of abuse.

Most vehicles there are set up with Y60 or Y61 axles. Most people I spoke to that run these type of axles recon these are the best budget axles that can withstand punishment.

RCV also make upgraded shafts and CVs and they are guaranteed at 42" tyres.

Our 38s should be on this weekend and will be competing again on the 14th of April.

Will keep you updated.

Some photios of the axles below..

Rear:

599472_559045907468400_1303384648_n_zps3

Front:

430947_10151211463199141_1450254236_n_zp

bob

So to fit Y60/61 rear axle to disco 2 what mods are required? Can you share more details on this please and if you have any pics that would be great. 

I am going to use LS400 4.0 V8 with lexus gear in Surf gear housing and transfer case which means I need centered dif. Y60 is probably the best option for that but want to understand how much work is required and how complicated is it.