Disco Headlights, Mk2 swap to Mk1

Boydie

I was driving in front of a TD5 today and admiring his circular headlights and built-in driving lights and wondered has anyone fitted these to a series one 300TDi and if so what was involved ?

Just looking at it it seems to be a"simple" case of swapping the front panel and discarding the side mounted indicators ets and fitting the series 2 panel and headlights ..................... however I'd guess its not that simple, after all we are talking Land Rover here so, has anyone done it ??????

It can be done, but the wiring needs to be altered as instead of going from main beam to dip, on a late D2 both bulbs come on at the same time. The 'driving lights' in the bumper are front fog lights. The front bumper is a different shape too, and I think you need to swap that.

It can be done, however, it does involve some cutting of the front panel, and the front wings to make them fit. The mountings are different, and has been said, the wiring does need altering too (BMW/Rover 75's use the same connectors IIRC). One thing though, after driving my brothers TD5 with the facelift headlights - i prefer the normal 300/early TD5 lights, as the output (even with Osram nightbreakers) on low beam is dismal. Much better to add some relays into the circuit to improve the voltage to the standard bulbs - and a lot cheaper. 2nd hand facelift headlights over here fetch well over £200 per pair, and are quite commonly being pinched because of this.

I'd personally get a lift in a facelift TD5 first, before considering the swap.