LT77 selector housing fitting

I've recently had the bearings and mainshaft renewed in my gearbox and having plonked it back on, I can't get the remote selector housing on and working properly.

It will go on and tighten down square, but clearly not in the correct place as, when I fit the gearstick housing, the gearstick won't move through its whole range of movement.

There must be a knack to fitting it in the right place? It was fine before I took it off!

Anyone have any experience?

I've managed to put it all together and it will select 1-4 and reverse, but not fifth.

Took it apart again and the bit that I assume is to stop the selector rotating too far seems to be in the wrong orientation. It stops the shaft turning just before 5th and allows the disc to hit the case in reverse.

I don't understand how that can be though as there is a dowel to locate it and I assume only one way the disc can fit the shaft?

reverseh.png

In reverse, the "metal thing" is circled and I think should be further anticlockwise.

5thm.png

In 5th, the thing appears to be too far clockwise.

forki.png

The remote housing, showing the 'fork' that prevents the 'thing' moving backwards and forwards. I've circled where the thing has come into contact and stopped me engaging 5th.

Does this jump out as wrong to anyone? Or am I being dense and doing something stupid when I'm putting it together?

Having scoured the internet, it seems as if the spool I've got the problem with is supposed to be the one for other gears.

Which suggests the 5th spool is inside the main casing.

What's that old idiom? If you want something doing properly...

So, it turns out that he had indeed got the 2 spools mixed up. He came round yesterday, had a look, saw what he'd done wrong, apologised and said he'd fix it straight away.

So I took it off, he came and picked it up this morning, dropped it back off at half 2 and gave me 50 quid back for the trouble of having to take it off again. It's now on and the selector works perfectly.

So 2 things, (despite him making the mistake in the first place) the service from Easi Gears is really good: he didn't quibble, just said he'd fix it asap and offered the money for me having to take it off. I'd use them again and if anyone else in Teesside needs gearbox work doing, I'd recommend them for the simple fact of the way he dealt with my complaint. It's this good customer service that is often missing.
http://easigearsltd.co.uk/contact-us

And the other thing: before fitting the gearbox, transfer box and exhaust back on, check it all goes together and works properly first!! :blush: