Brake fluid warning light inoperative

I've had an mot failure. No big deal all do-able.

However, the seemingly easiest fix has me puzzled.

As above "Brake fluid warning light inoperative".

Now, rather obviously it wasn't going to be a bulb fault!

I "think" it is due to the main earth bolt in the engine bay no longer being earthed. It's probably melted to the gearbox/engine/exhaust or something.

I cannot find my manual with the wiring diagram. I haven't needed the manual for some time, either after 13 years of ownership I know how to fix the common faults by heart or I have a reliable 24 year old truck.

The question is.

Is the light supposed to come on with ignition and go off once the engine is running or is it just a simple switch circuit?

same on my 110 to, relay lives in the fusebox behind the metal panel, 3 relays are the same so swap it with one of the others [suggest the start relay, look for white/red trace & plain brown wires] if the engine then doesn't start you need a new relay. or check the black/white trace wires from brake master cylinder cap to the bulkhead connections, one wire on the cap is earth.

also if your vehicle has a handbrake on warning light switch, this uses the same warning light as the low brake fluid light, this is a direct connection & doesn't go through any relays.

On mine there's a relay assembly that lights the brake warning light when the key is in the "engine crank" position to provide a bulb test facility.

After spending some time on it today trying to get it to work like a modern car (comes on in running position, goes off once started) I reread this and think it works as you describe. On only when cranking.

I had two faults.

Sticky relay ( I only have two and a flasher ) swapped them over and it wouldn't start. "Percussed" the relay on 5 of the 6 sides and it is all fine now ;)

Excessive verdigris on the earth wire at the cap end. Had to cut off connector strip and clean up a new section and put a new connector on.