Biting the engine swap bullet advice needed

ok so finally going to sort out getting an engine to replace my TD but the question is which to go for??200 or 300tdi. Is the 300tdi worth the extra hassel when it comes to fitting? i will be using my lt77 and 1.4 TB for the moment (May consider a swap to 1.2 in future) I will be using the landy for occasional laning and light offroading but 75% road driving i would say. Is the 300 more receptive to tuning up?

all help appreciated

For the ease of doing it with what you already have go for-If you can find one a decent defender 200tdi engine with all of the ancillaries as it'll bolt directly to your existing gearbox and engine mounts will be the same too-there is a thread on here somewhere-look in the tech archive for a discovery 200tdi to 90/110 vehicle, means you won't have to weld up new engine mounts or muck around with it too long to get something good, You could also If you wanted to buy an old rotten 200tdi disco and remove all of the bits from that-means you get the T box you may use later, rear disk braked axle aswell as the engine too for very little money

John

All depends on taste. 300 isn't that difficult as you already have the lt 77 all you need to mod is mounting brackets and exhaust plus a few electrical connections. If you have the donor vehicle cut the brackets off at the chassis and reattach while engine is held by the crane and coupled to the gearbox. Really easy way to do it without to much fuss. Did my swap in one day 1/2 that was prep.

Also make sure you get your hands on the fuel filters and pipe work off the donor. Cut mine then realized I needed it.

My 300 will sing along at 70+ but a little noisy! And tows like a train.

All depends what you source for sensible money, local to you, that preferably you can see+hear running first. That to me is the biggest factor driving the 200 or 300 TDI question.

Most rotten Discos you see on ebay are now 300s so that could well be what you end up with. Ideally buy one with a week's MOT left so you can drive it home!

thanks for the input guys, i will get hit for sticking another landy on the drive but i think its the only way to go as people seem to want silly money for a bare engine, more than a whole disco in most cases! madness I read the tech archive about the 300 engine mounts, does anyone make these adapters yet?