tyre sizes - suspension lift

Aragorn

ive seen a few articles in mags stating that u need suspension lift to fit bigger tyres if off roading. i cant understand this principle as if the tyres scrub at normal ride height they will scrub under articulation angles while offroad...

wheel offset would be more important surely?

any advice on maximum sizes without major modification?

i assume standard 235/85r16 and 265/75r16 will be ok?

any pointers greatly received

kevin

You can get 255/85x16 underneath but they will just rub on full articulation. A 1" lift will get them under better but you are quite right they will still rub on compressed suspension no matter what lift you have unless you lift the body aswell or pack the bumpstops....

What you are doing wrong is thinking properly about the job rather than just buying what is cheap in the mags this month!!!!! :P

The one saving grace of most 2" lifts advertised is that the tyres won't rub even without the bumpstops adjusted because the horribly mis-matched springs that come with the kit will go coilbound long before the axle hits the bumpstops anyway!!!! :D:D

Hope that helps answer your question....

David

LLAMA 4x4

New online store......

trying to avoid lift, if anything i'll be looking at road handling kit which will likely lower it somewhat

however for offroading i'd like to be able to fit some taller mud tyres to get some air under the diffs!

would fitting wider wheelarch spats provide more clearance or is it bodywork it catches on?

trying to avoid lift, if anything i'll be looking at road handling kit which will likely lower it somewhat

however for offroading i'd like to be able to fit some taller mud tyres to get some air under the diffs!

would fitting wider wheelarch spats provide more clearance or is it bodywork it catches on?

With the "%%/85s the interference is on the underside of the seatbox at the rear and the metalwork of the front - I suppose you could try to address the front with spacing / offset but the rear is simply a diameter issue......

David

LLAMA 4x4New Online Store

the 255/85s are approx 33" ye...

a 31" tyre like 265/75 is fine tho? even with slightly lowered suspension?

im hoping the lift attained from fitting the 31" tyres will compensate for the drop in the suspension as well as increasing air under the diffs over stock 29" tyres n standard ride height

265/75R16 is more like 32" but they are fine on std suspension, not sure about lowered though as most people go the other way on LR :)

They aren't fitted any more but 265/75R16 BFG's used to be the standard factory fit on Freestyle alloys on Defender 90's a few years ago.

As you say wheel offset is also significant.

Try this Tyre Size Calculator to play with all different sizes - though you should be aware that these are the "theoretical sizes" there are often minor variations between makes of tyre!