Views advice and comments on lathe purchase ?

Morning all,

Have got 2 x possiblities of new lathe for Moi :)

Both are 3 phase, wondered what peeps thoughts and advice are on them ...

No 1

Colchester Student

post-22-0-31142200-1366875393_thumb.jpg

Doesn't really excit me too much, has DRO on it and a fair range of tooling, but from the pics looks "The well used" type ?

Not sure which variant this is ? anyone fill in the gaps ?

Typically what would expect this to be priced at ?

no 2

Harrison.

post-22-0-38023600-1366875567_thumb.jpg

not what I was looking for, this is a smaller model - a 155 model which I know sod all about ? (wanted M300)

Smaller so better suited to my space maybe, but again would appreacite feedback thoughts and price guide ?

Seem better condition, think its ex school

Fire away

Nige

Hi Nige,

I like the Colchesters more than the Harrisons, used both, I like the gear selector.... but that's just personal.

To be honest, the lathe is one thing, the tooling and the DRO are worth their weight in salt.

Just my two bobs worth!

Cheers,

Mike

If I were you, buy the one thats under power still, chuck a good length of something soft (ali or brass or the like) and see how straight the slides are. Check it Faces something thats on the limit of its swing to see how flat it faces stuff up. Also check it still cuts round, i've worked lathes that cut oval due to there age. Both Lathes are generally as good as each other.

Toolings worth having always. If you can, get older style holders, the tips are dirt cheap and plentyful and in your garage, you'll get your monies worth from it. Personally (and I work a lathe much bigger than them 2) i find the older inserts better, reason being that on alot of materials "my" lathe will handle 5 or so mm cuts at feed rates around .4mm a rev(my favourite inserts are Mitsubishi US735 grade) newer inserts wont.

Personally, i dont see why you need a DRO, I prefer using the hand dials, I use the DRO on the colchester at work on the Z axis, but only because most of our workshop slips are missing.

Have i bored you yet.

Cant help with the Harrison,but the Colchester is exactly the same as mine,even supplied by the same company.... Its a long gap bed type,the best version,shame if its worn.From memory the bed will be 40" long,they also did a short one,25" I think without the gap.If its any help I paid £2100 for mine about 2 yrs ago,but its hardly done any work at all,the face plate and 4 jaw indy had never been used.

Wouldnt be without it now.