2002 TDI Electrically Dead

Hi All,

I stupidly left the lights on my Landy on last week and returned to find a dead battery. It died at work, so I needed to remove the battery to charge it. Having charged the battery, and verified it is charged with a multimeter, the Landy is now totally dead electrically.

I can see 12 voltage across the battery but nowhere else.

I've probed all fuses, including those under the drivers seat and none have any volts. I thought "immobiliser" but there is no red light on the dash, and looking at the circuit diagram there is nothing between the battery and fuse 7 which goes into the ECU. Fuse 7, as the with the others, has no volts on either side.

Either I am missing something or gremlins have chewed through a wire at exactly the same time as the battery went flat. I know which one I suspect.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Are the battery leads clean? Do you have an isolator anywhere? You might have a wrecked battery that is getting only a surface charge but is not deep charging - running a battery completely flat can do that.

Is the battery actually OK? Modern batteries really hate 'deep discharge' and often cannot be successfully recharged after such treatment.

Though your multimeter may show +12V at the terminals when the battery has no load on it, what really matters is whether the battery can still manage +12V when you're pulling a good few tens of amps from it. An even totally knackered battery can show +14V at the terminals under no-load condition but the volts drop off when you try to draw any power.

I'd suggest you try a jump-start: if that works then look at a new battery.