Project Series 3 rebuild

stevema

Hi all,

Warning: an over-ambitious spanner wielder has taken on a new project and advice will be requested.

I'm going to rebuild a S3, should start stripping the chassis next week and see the parts needed. I’ll be replacing all bearings, seals, bushes & rubber parts in any case.

Can I test whether the diffs are OK without opening them up?

Pics to follow next week.

Thanks

Steve

I would leave the diffs alone if nothing is obvious and leaking oil like a sieve, just make sure the swivels are ok visually, and drain the fluids, if they come out clean then leave them alone, if its milky or black to brown, then strip and rebuild or find another pair (cheaper)

I still have a couple of series axles which self destructed by the owners leaving them with contaminated fluids, resulting in rusty internals good for the scrapheap!

Good luck with your quest, i bet you will give me a call one day or another for something you might need....................... :i-m_so_happy:

G

Hi Gremlin

I sent you a PM already as I'd like to see your disc conversion, no rush though :)

There's a good crowd over on our local AWDC forum, with their help I already found petrol engine, gearbox, transferbox & overdrive! the beauty of Maltese networks hehe.

look forward to meeting sometime

Steve

YES !! another Series saved.... :i-m_so_happy:

Nice mountain of parts you've got there, wish i had that kind of weather for a rebuild ;)

Hehe thanks, that's what it's all about right?

the mountain of parts is not mine sadly but I'm trying to get my grubby hands on as many as I can for the money :)