R380 gearbox help!

I have a defender 90, fitted with a 300tdi disco lump, I have 2 r380 gearboxs 1 is out of the discovery and the other is out of a defender!

My problem is that both bell housing are the same length, I thought the defender bell housing would of been shorter?? Or do they vary between 90/110/130? I know they are different boxs because the sticks are the other way round, hope that makes sense!

I believe that the boxes are the same length, just the selector is in a different position, I think you have to strip the box to sort this, there are quite a few threads about this http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=63630&hl=strip#entry550736

Ashcroft do an adapter if you don't want to strip the box http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=375

Dave

Defenders before the 300tdi came along had a short bellhousing, and the engine sat right at the back of the engine bay.

When the 300tdi was introduced in 94, they standardised the bellhousings across the range, so the defender got the longer discovery length bellhousing, and the engine was moved forward.

So yes, the two bell housings will be the same length!